Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Henna.

I've hennaed my hair a couple of times in the past, always using Lush's Cacca Marron, a dark chestnut colour. I've loved the results as it adds a warmth and depth to my dark hair. However for summer I fancied something a little different, so on my last trip to Lush I picked up six blocks of Cacca Rouge. 
Initially I was slightly concerned about the bright red claims however I was reassured that over my dark brown hair the results wouldn't be too shocking.

Anyone who has used Henna before will know what a disgusting process it is. Firstly you have to melt the blocks made from natural plant extracts and mix the disgusting stuff until it has the consistency of un-whipped double cream. Its best to apply Vaseline around the hairline to prevent skin staining and then using gloves you slather the hot mixture all over your hair (this takes a while and is best done whilst wearing old clothes that you dont mind ruining). Then wrap your head in cling-film and an old towel and leave for three whole hours!! Washing the henna out is an interesting battle, get in the shower   be patient and just keep washing and when you can tackle it with a wide tooth comb. Your hair will smell of the henna for a couple of days, but its not noticeable unless people are sniffing your hair! The henna leaves your hair so soft, shiny and healthy. 

Before


After
Although it is a bloody palaver I really do recommend using henna on your hair, its so much better than chemical hair dyes and for those searching for the perfect warm chestnut tone or dark red will find their dream hair colour in the form of a smell green block from Lush! The colour last quite a long time, however it does depend on how often you wash your hair and how long you leave the henna on for. I would advise using colour preserving hair products as you really do want to preserve the vibrancy of the initial colour. 

instagram: bfdavies

No comments:

Post a Comment